First conversion from a stationary wing to a rotating wing in flight (Herrick HV-2A)

Saturday, July 24, 1937 - Boulevard Airport, PA, United States of America

 

Description

This was the first time that an aircraft had taken off with a stationary second wing, which was then allowed to rotate in forward flight
The aircraft was a Herrick HV-2A Convertaplane, piloted by George Townson, operating out of Boulevard Airport, PA.

Demonstrations of this capability were made to the public on 30 July.

Source: "American Autogiro, Gyroplane and Early Convertaplane Developments", Agnew E. Larsen, Journal of the American Helicopter Society, Vol. 1, No. 1, January 1956, Page 14).

 

Aircraft related to this milestone
Herrick HV-2A Convertaplane

Attribution

Related biographies
Gerard P. Herrick
George Townson